Sunday, February 14, 2016

An air on the air, thoughts about going on the radio tomorrow

Well, tomorrow is going to be really interesting. I have been invited to speak (and play) on the radio, to discuss upcoming events that will be happening with Kara's Hope Foundation. You are probably wondering how on earth I found myself in this exciting situation.

A few days ago, I was putting together a few press releases announcing the first of three recitals that pianist Juliana Han and I will be performing. (For more information about the recital taking place on Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2 PM, please click here:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1056353064428658/) I sent the releases out to a few of the local newspapers in my hometown on Long Island. Within minutes, I received an email back from the editor of one of the papers, inviting me to speak on behalf of Kara's Hope Foundation on Long Island News Radio, 103.9 FM. (For those of you who are native Long Islanders, this used to be WRCN, a classic rock station.) Originally the thought was to call in to give an update on what Kara's Hope Foundation is doing.

My original thought was, "Wow, this is really exciting!" Anxiety quickly set in, as I was scrambling to think of what I should say. (For those who don't know, Kara's Hope Foundation was a non-profit organization established in my sister's memory. Take a look here at the website, http://www.karashopefoundation.org)  
Kara and me in a Williams sibling reading session (circa 1998)

To what degree do I talk about Kara and her life? Which events organized by the Foundation do I discuss? Will calling in be the best way to get the message across, or would it help for me to be in the room where the radio show is airing?

As discussions continued to determine when I would make my radio appearance, I offered an idea, "I could perform on air if you would like." Since the original press release was announcing a viola recital, and figuring live viola is a rarity on radio stations on Long Island, that might be the best way to balance the conversation. The idea was warmly received, and I was invited to come in tomorrow morning.  

So, if are interested in listening to me as I wear three hats at once (as Kara's older brother, as Vice President of Kara's Hope Foundation, and as a violist), please tune into http://linewsradio.com/john-gomez/ tomorrow, (103.9 FM) Monday, February 15, 2016, at 12 PM. I plan to play Alan Hovhaness's Chahagir, for solo viola, and discuss the upcoming events that are being organized by Kara's Hope Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment