Saturday, April 4, 2015

The First Steps On an Incredible Journey

Terminal One, JFK, Day One

    The journey begins media res.  My flight is slightly delayed, by a good 90 minutes, so I am trying to unwind after an intense week.  The week has been a bit of a cliff hanger in my normal week, interrupted by what promises to be a fantastic journey.
     To catch YOU up, the week that I am wrapping up here in New York City has been a fantastic one.  I gave a small run through performance on Tuesday Night, which I billed "All By Myself," at the Aaron Copland School of Music in Queens College.  The attendance was small, but the room contained a smattering of people who I admire greatly.  This included a few colleagues, students, my parents, and some dear friends.  I will admit, there were moments where I was nervous.  Some notes didn't speak the way I wanted them too, a few string crossings didn't as well as I would have liked, and a couple of chords were, well... funky fresh to say the least.  It was not a perfect performance, but there were moments that were expressive, and I felt relieved to get through the entire program.  I am even more relieved that Sunday's performance will be better prepared.
    I also realize that the time I have spent teaching over the last few years, speaking freely in front of rooms filled with students, has made me a better, and calmer public speaker.  I stayed more on message- my pacing was more fluid, and my knees did not wobble while talking!  This is huge progress, because they tend to shake when I am more panicked.

    The rest of the week has been tying up loose ends with students, trying to get a few more lessons in with some of my students, the last few rehearsals with my High School and Elementary kids, and a piano and Dictation class with my students at Queens.  I tried to get most of my grading done, and was at least able to get the Quizzes taken care of.  I sense a few people were frustrated with the fact that I didn't get through all of the Homework, but that will happen when the time is right.  (After the trip...)

    I have arrived, ready to begin an incredible week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment