Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 2016 Newsletter, Gregory K. Williams, Violist

June 2016 Newsletter
Gregory K. Williams, Violist
Dear Music Lovers, Violaphiles, Family, Friends, and Colleagues,
I thought May was going to be the month to end all months, but it appears that June 2016 is going to be quite extraordinary. Please read on as I clue you in on my exciting plans!

The Red Door Chamber Players had a fantastic first performance last Saturday in Oyster Bay. We will be giving our second performance on Friday, June 3, 2016, 7:30 pm at the Westhampton Presbyterian Church, Westhampton Beach, NY. I will be performing Joaquin Turina's Scene Andalouse, Op. 7 for viola and piano quintet. For more information, please visit http://www.reddoorchamberplayers.com.

I will be taking my research about Günter Raphael's viola music on the road, in the form of a Lecture-Recital. I will be giving two performances, the first is Tonight, June 1, 2016, 8:00 pm at the Aaron Copland School of Music, Queens, NY. (Rm. 226). The second performance will on Thursday, June 9, 2016, 3:30 pm at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Oberlin, Ohio. I will be playing excerpts from three of Raphael's unaccompanied viola sonatas. This Lecture-Recital will be part of the American Viola Society's Festival. I am honored to be a part of such an incredible week, where many superb violists from across the globe will be gathering. For more information about the festival please visit, http://www.americanviolasociety.org/Events/AVS-Festival.php.

On Sunday, June 13, 2016, 2:00 pm, I will be returning to Carnegie Hall, performing with the Distinguished Concerts International Orchestra. We will be performing a world premiere by composer Cristian Grases, and a work by Morton Lauridsen.

Saturday, June 18, 2016, 7:30 pm, offers a special treat. I am honored to announce that I will be featured as a guest soloist with the Litha Symphony Orchestra, performing Paul Hindemith's Trauermusik. The performance will be led by conductor Alex Wen. This gala concert will be taking place at the Church of the Holy Apostles, 296 9th Avenue, New York, NY. Details for this concert can be found at http://www.lithasymphony.org/upcoming-events.html.

I will be returning to the Hamptons this summer, performing with the Choral Society of the Hamptons, on Saturday, June 25th, 2016, at the Old Whaler's Church in Sag Harbor, at 7 PM. We will be performing Beethoven's Mass in C, and a new work by composer Victoria Bond. For details, please visit http://choralsocietyofthehamptons.org

While I will not be traveling to Los Angeles this summer, a film that I recorded on last summer, My First Kiss and the People Involved, will be released at the LA Film Festival on Saturday, June 5, 2016. The score was composed by the talented composer and flutist, Bonnie McAlvin. For more details, please visit, http://www.myfirstkissmovie.com/.

In between, I will be traveling to Ithaca, NY and San Francisco, CA, for weddings of a few dear friends, and amidst the flurry of activity, I am also looking forward to a few scattered days of downtime in New York City, on Long Island, and possibly up around Cape Cod. I hope to see YOU at some point in between.

Musically yours,

Gregory K. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment