Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday Musings

March 23, 2015

      When I first started blogging, it was an offshoot of a daily writing exercise that I started doing to get my brain moving before working on my Dissertation.  The object to this writing exercise was to write freely for 10 minutes, exploring anything that was on my mind, without stopping for air.   It didn't matter what I was writing, if expletives came out, that was OK, and if I ran out of things to say, I could just prattle on and on until the 10 minutes were up.  The month of January was a month where little was going on and I was able to do a bit of this every single day.  February was a bit more sporadic, but for some reason I felt a bit busier, especially with a new semester underway.
      With the blog, I am trying my hand at writing freely again, but having a topic in mind, and sometimes going a bit beyond the "it only took me 10 minutes to write this."  I want to keep it focused on specific happenings in my small corner of the world, topics that I am thinking about, performances I am preparing for, or recaps of exciting travels.  (That will definitely be on the horizon in the coming weeks, stay tuned!) 
      When I first started at this blog though, I was having trouble going straight into Dissertation work, and would often get distracted by other things.  I have done quite a bit of probing of two of Günter Raphael’s first two unaccompanied Sonatas for Viola (Op. 7, No. 1 and Op. 46, No. 3), but have a lot more research and nitty-gritty details to iron out, before I am ready to officially propose my topic.  Definitely a daunting task, and it is difficult to try to juggle that with the other hats in my life, largely the performing and teaching hats, while still trying to pretend to be a human being who likes to exercise, and spend quality time with loved ones and friends!
       A few last thoughts, since I have done a fair share of balancing my playing and teaching sides already today, I did get a chance to see a dear friend, and fantastic pianist Adam Whiting, who was in New York with his girlfriend, Amelia.  I also had a chance to talk with my wonderful Yiayia (Greek word for Grandmother for those of you who are not in the know...) wishing her a Happy Birthday.  So in a sense, perhaps I am succeeding in striking a balance between all of these corners of my life.  And with that said, on to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment