Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Hats are Many, My Time Is Brief

Dear Readers,

        I am sensing that tonight's post may require a poem, rather than prose.  I am having a bit of a reflective evening thinking about the week ahead.  It is a week that is seemingly hectic, but promises to be fulfilling.  It is not a perfect poem, and definitely does not rhyme consistently.  The meter is irregular, but will give a glimpse of the world as I am currently seeing it.

My Hats are Many, My Time Is Brief
by Gregory K. Williams, March 22, 2015

My hats are many, my time is brief.
As a musician, I keep a box full of hats,
At the foot of my bed,
Stacked next to the pillars of music,
Waiting to be learned.

The chamber music hat, is truly ornate.
Complete with a headlamp,
That probes the corners of caverns and taverns,
Constructed by the likes of Haydn, Ravel, and Reich.
It sheds light upon mysteries embedded on paper.

The hat as an orchestral player,
Is bristled and pointed.
Aiding in the precision that is found, and required,
In the likes of Don Juan, Brahms,
And Mendelssohn's Scherzo.

The hat as a teacher, has three pointed corners.
The first is soft, fuzzy, and nurturing,
The second has bells, to enlighten and inspire,
The last is ironclad and tough, to challenge,
Both the most stubborn, and most malleable of students.

The hat as a violist, most encompassing of all,
Is multicolored, multifaceted, and really quite tall.
It is feathery, and leathery, and covered in jewels.
To aid in the mastery of dexterous technique,
And the endless supply of illustrious repertoire.

I have hats for the other roles I play throughout life,
As a chauffeur, as contractor, as negotiator,
As writer, and scholar, and internet debater.
I also wear hats for quite important roles,
As brother, son and grandson, colleague and amigo.

You may ask, "How does one wear, so many hats in one day?"
I will reply, "I don't know, but this I can say:
My neck is strong, from playing the viola each day,
That I can balance my hats, upon each other, when I play."
(And may reveal them, to all, in public someday.)

Though my hats are many, and my time is brief,
It is important to cherish them all.  To achieve,
A balanced objective, of being the best one can be,
In all of our roles, is my personal belief.
Our lives are too short, to wear just one hat a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment