Sunday, March 29, 2015

Marching Into April, and Intense Month Ahead

An Intense Month Ahead- Some Exciting Announcements!

     Where to begin!  The last few days have been spectacular, filled with intense days working with my students, rehearsing, practicing, writing, running, and performing at a House Concert with a great view!

     March has been a great month, and it is still far from being over.  I will be giving an impromptu recital Tuesday, March 31, 8 PM, in Room 264 of the Aaron Copland School of Music, in Flushing, NY.  I will be performing works by J. S. Bach, Günter Raphael, Anthony Green, and Gilad Hochman. It promises to a great evening!

Thursday, April 2, marks the start of spring break, a joyous time where ALL of the schools that I teach at go on break. This year's Spring Break will be fruitful and productive. I am traveling to Oslo, Norway (for an extra long sight-seeing stopover), the Netherlands, and Germany. While in the Netherlands, I will be giving a House Concert at the home of Anthony Green and Itamar Ronen in Leiden, on Sunday, April 5. I will be giving the Dutch premiere of two of Anthony's works for solo viola, Nachtspiel (2006), and Two Pages for Kara (2011), which Anthony wrote in honor of my sister. Additionally I will be performing works by Günter Raphael, (his Sonata Op. 46, No. 3, for unaccompanied viola), and Gilad Hochman's Akeda (2006), and of course, some Bach.

The next leg of my trip will be taking me to Berlin, where I will be doing some extensive research about composer Günter Raphael, who wrote several pieces for viola that I am studying extensively. I will be staying in the Zehlendorf section of the city for much of the week, but will make trips into the city and Leipzig, to do some sight seeing, and to hear the Berlin Philharmonic, performing Berlioz's Damnation of Faust, with Joyce DiDonato singing. If anyone in Berlin wants to meet up for coffee, lunch, dinner, or a drink, drop me a line!

When I get back, the fun continues! I will be giving a Viola Masterclass at the University of Delaware on Wednesday, April 15, working with the students of Viola Professor Esme Allen-Creighton. Saturday, April 18, will include a performance of my beginning string students at PS 115, the Glen Oaks School, at 6 PM, in Eastern Queens. Many of these kids have been playing only a few months, but have been working hard, and are passionate about what they do.

Sunday, April 19 will take me up to Washington Heights, NY, to perform Douglas Townsend's Duo for Viola with violist Nicholas Pauly, as part of an all-Townsend Concert. https://www.facebook.com/events/709807219139654/  This is part of a series hosted by the Washington Heights Musical Society, and will take place at 3 PM.

The month culminates with a performance of the St. Francis Prep String Orchestra, as well as the Honors Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Percussion Ensemble and Concert Choir, at St. Francis Preparatory School, on Francis Lewis Blvd, in Fresh Meadows, Queens, on Friday, April 24, at 7:45 PM.  

This promises to be a fantastic month!  Stay tuned for updates over the next few weeks, I promise I will keep you all up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment